Thursday, June 20, 2013

This Is Home

I know, this post is just a little bit late (almost a whole year late!), but life’s been pretty busy since the move. Yup, that’s right; My family has moved! Due to an employment ending and another one springing up; my family has followed God’s calling to come down from the suburbs of the cities to the farming country of Minnesota. We haven’t done something drastic like moving to California or anything like that; we‘re still in the same state. My dad’s brother-in-law and nephew had been building a senior living home and wondered if my parents would come and be the care takers of the place. With my dad’s job ending, the offer couldn’t have come at a better time. So here we are, only a few months away from it being a year now and I’m finally making a post about it.



Our house is on the edge of a small town with a small population. The main street is only a few blocks away and there’s only about two or three open businesses on it; the grocery store having closed down a year before we moved here. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining; I think this has been and still is the greatest adventure of my life! As a writer, I find the whole atmosphere of small town life to be inspiring; and when I look out over the endless farmland all around, seeing where the deep blue sky meets the freshly plowed earth, I feel as if anything is possible.






Do I miss the cities? Not very much. I love the cities, but I also love the country; so I’m happy wherever I am. One thing about the cities I do miss a little is the architecture. The buildings with glass reflecting the color of the sky, the new world of metal blending with the old world of stone; they’re artworks that tower above my head. I admit, I really don’t know much about architecture, and when it comes to drawing it I’m hopeless without a picture reference. There’s just something about being in the downtown area of the cities that makes me happy. If you asked me where I want to live when I‘m older, the instant reply would be New York City; but after a moment of thinking I would add that if I didn’t move anywhere else and stayed right here for the rest of my life, I would be perfectly happy. This is home now.




No comments:

Post a Comment