Sunday, December 14, 2014

How Photography Connects Us, Moves Us, and All that Jazz



Photography.


It does so much more than show a pretty picture. It communicates, it stirs the fires of change, it inspires the soul to a greater theme.


I’m sorry, I’m standing here at my computer, trying to write something epic, but honestly? I barely got any sleep last night, I just watched an amazing comedy movie, and I’m ready for bed.


Who says being your own teacher doesn’t have its advantages? (Like being able to write a completely informal, off topic paper and still get good grades!)


I’m just gonna write it as it is!


Yeah, I like photography. I’ve spent the last 15 weeks studying it, and I’m still not sick of it, so that’s got to tell you something!


Why do I like photography?


No big, grand concepts. No mashing together sage sounding words that I’ve picked up by reading what others have said…


Why is it that I like to pick up a camera and shoot pictures?


One, I’m lazy. What would take a Ton of words and hours of polishing to communicate through writing, with a bit of thought put into the camera controls, I can say the same thing and more with less effort.


Two, the right medium for the right job. With an image I can capture that emotion, that moment that would’ve been too elusive for words. Even when poetry fails to capture something, a photograph sometimes can.


Three, I’ve got letting go issues. I journal a lot, and I collect a lot of things just because I connect a memory to it. My greatest fear is forgetting, so why not love a medium that forever captures a moment in time? That way, if I ever start to forget, if my mind begins to change things around, all I need to do is look at the picture again. A picture is something solid, evidence that this amazing event happened, or that these people were in my life.


Four, it helps me see the awesomeness of God. With photography I have the ability to share a bit of my vision of His goodness, beauty, and power, with other people. I love the fact that I can give glory to His name through images of His world. 


Five, I like images. I like emotion displayed through visuals. I like movies, and how they can stir your soul like a really good book can (and in half the time too!) For me, an image is like a movie; a story, a feeling, an abstract concept all boiled down to a single snapshot frame. It leaves your imagination wondering what happened before the shot was taken and what is going to happen to the scene after this moment that we’re viewing has past.


I guess it comes down to stories once again. No matter what medium I use; a pencil, a keyboard, or a camera, I’m just trying to tell a story. I’m a storyteller. And the stories that pictures can communicate are endless.


The journey of a dancing, joyful brook captured in one moment of its endless travels.

A wounded soldier being flown to the nearest hospital, his face bloody and deformed.

A homeless girl on the streets, holding a kitten as if it is the only thing she has left in this world.

The explosive vividness of fireworks bursting with color in the night sky.

Stories speak to us deeper than logic often can. They touch our hearts, cut like knives, heal wounds too deep to speak of. And photography does that too. It tells stories.


That’s why I like photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment