Monday, May 25, 2015

My Early Retirement

I had worked there for a whole month.

Superman said it was a real job, but I always held that it was only like a "real" job. I was technically only a substitute.

Whatever it was, I have now officially retired from it.

Yup.

At the age of 18.

In the evening my family ate out to celebrate my retirement.

Well, okay, we were also (mainly) celebrating Little Sister's last day of school.

But after a whole month of working as a kitchen substitute at the small Christian school, it felt like a celebration of my retirement from the job as well.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the job! It fit me perfectly and I got to see my friends everyday.

For a homebody like me, though, a month of being away from home for so many hours can be tiring. Also, following a career of being a "Jill-of-all-trades" means I like to keep things from being too repetitive.   

Washing off tables, sweeping and moping cafeteria floors is as repetitive as it gets.

And I don't like committing to things that keep me from being able to work on my writings and drawings, which this job was doing.

I guess I shouldn't say that I've retired from the "work force" though.

Just retired from one job.

I joked with my sister as we munched on our fries that I'll end up retiring 23 different times by the time I'm forty, if I call the end of each job a "retirement".

The real number will probably end up being much more than that.

What can I say? I enjoy working hard and love trying new things.

I can't imagine myself ever really retiring. Work is too exciting and enjoyable.

Especially when you're a "Jill-of-all-trades"






No comments:

Post a Comment