Monday, May 18, 2015

What I Found at the Mall



$4.24


That’s how much the cashier girl told me it was.


Sure, she was super cool looking; a Mohawk with a neon blue streak, nose ring, tattoos, and bright fun loving eyes.


And sure, the store was pretty cool too. Glowing sea salt rock lamps, weird whimsical jewelry, mythical looking statues and slightly dark, broody music (actually, one of Oldest Brother’s favorite bands was playing, Camera Obscura.)



But $4.24 just for that little box!? I had been willing to sacrifice a dollar in the name of novelty - maybe.


I put the box back and wandered out of the store with Little Sister. Walking through the rest of the mall though, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was walking away from something I’d regret not getting later.


What the girl suggested I could do with it nearly sold me on the spot, only my extreme stubbornness and unwillingness to be talked into anything kept me from pulling out my wallet.

If I was going to pay that much, it would be my own decision.


Still, the way she said I could get all my friends together and dare them all to eat one sparked my imagination. I could see my friends grimacing at the sight of the contents of the box, and me laughing at their sissiness.


That’s one of the marketing rules I’ve read about: get your customer to be able to envision clearly how your product would fit into their lives. She’s good.


It wasn’t only the marketing and friendly-cool cashier that was bugging me as we walked past countless clothing stores that all looked the same.


It was one of my unofficial bucket list items.


Something I’ve always wanted to try.


Ever since I was little and had seen some kids eat it on the camping survival episode of Fetch with Ruff Ruffman, I had been open to the idea of trying one.


I had thought I’d never get a chance to try one though – but there they were, a little box of them – salted and everything!


What was a little money for a lifelong wish come true – and a chance to show my friends just how crazy I really am.


So Little Sister and I ended up back in the store. I made a bee line for the little box in the strange candy section and brought it to the same cool cashier girl.


When she saw us back, I gave her a resigned, happy laugh and said,


“I decided on the crickets!”


3 comments:

  1. Crickets are just so full of guts. More guts than they even should be able to hold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Vanessa D I didn't notice any guts when I ate them, they were just really crispy, like bacon bits! But if I actually had to eat them raw, then yeah, I think the guts would be pretty disgusting.

    @Nancy Lowell I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to go through with it either, if I looked too closely into it's dead eyes... but having the peer pressure of my friends present helped me not to hesitate. Then I found out they taste pretty good!

    Thanks for commenting you guys! Have an amazing day!!

    ReplyDelete