Tuesday, January 5, 2016

An Old Sea Mariner's Surprise

Day 29 - Surprise Me Challenge

Today I was surprised by...

The library website saying there's an error with the card I try to sign in with

The mushy texture of microwaved fish sticks

A friendly pat on the shoulder in passing

To see a filled up schedule for the month

Being asked to help with homework on the bus

How perfectly the book Breadcrumbs mirrors my own life right now


I sit on the musty, wet floor of the cellar of my ship. Mutinied. I, an old sea mariner, bead salted with the seasoning of the sea and a life of hardships. Locked in the hull of my own ship. At least I have one solace on that swaying, dank prison. I have my food. While the rest of the men above battle with a furious squall I enjoy my sweet rest and nourishment. Let that teach them to take over a ship when they didn't even know their starboards from seawarts! A plastic container of microwaved fish sticks and mac-n-cheese. Oh, and a healthy strawberry-banana smoothie on the side. Can't forget that. As the angry tears of the sea drips from leaky boards above me I bite into my warm meal. Mushy! I grimace. The inside of the fish sticks are mushy! They probably would've been better heated in the oven, but who has 20 minutes to wait for breakfast when you can have it in 3 1/2?

Yeah, this is what my breakfast looked like on the floor of the kitchen this morning. My thoughts; if you're going to eat alone, might as well eat in style!

No comments:

Post a Comment