Thursday, January 7, 2016

Surprised by Humans

Yesterday was the 30th and final day for a challenge I've been doing to record the surprises - big and small, good and bad - that God sends my way each day. I never got a chance to write yesterday because the day turned out to be (surprisingly) busy. So now I will reflect back and try to find some epic sounding words to write that seem fitting for the conclusion of a thirty day journey.

Out of all the surprises of yesterday I recognize a theme: human relationship. From seeing people I knew on my walk, the friendliness of friends, to people talking to me, being offered pizza, and realizing there are some kids who look up to me. Out of all these thirty days the most surprising elements in each of my days were people. Perhaps it is because nature and inanimate objects act the way one expects them to act. The sun rises, a light bulb turns on, we stay solidly planted on the ground. But when you throw humans into the mix, you can never fully predict what someone else might do in any given circumstance. It is this interaction with other human beings that makes the day to day routines of life interesting and different in unexpected ways. So despite all the complications and problems that come from living in close connection with people, I, for one, am grateful that God has blessed my life so richly with so many surprising relationships.

KickofJoy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment