Friday, August 22, 2014

A New Adventure



Self-education. Homeschooled College. Studying at home. Whatever way I put it, most people still need me to go into further explanation. It’s just that the fact that someone is going down the no college road while still studying on their own is so uncommon that it takes a while to fully register that it’s not online classes or state regulated in any way. It’s just me, a bunch of books and online resources and a desire to learn. I’ve been my own teacher since 7th grade, so it’s not an intimidating idea for me, it’s really quite exciting. I’m calling my school Auto-Logartis College, or ALC. I figured if I had an official sounding name, people might take it more seriously. Some of the subjects I’ll be studying are photography, storytelling, screenwriting, small business and a few others. Since I was little, I pretty much knew that college wasn’t something for me. Like in so many other areas of my life, I’ve felt a need to discover my own unique path for further education rather than following the society norm. A couple people who are really inspiring to me as I am on the verge of starting this new adventure are Ray Bradbury and Steve Jobs. Ray Bradbury, because he couldn’t afford to go to college, said he instead spent 3 or 4 hours at his library every day. Steve Jobs dropped out of college and later admitted that it was probably the best thing that he’s ever done. He instead “ghosted” the classes that he wanted to (sat in on them without being officially enrolled) and didn’t have to waste his time doing any of the required elective classes. Although I know it’ll take a lot of self-discipline, I’m really looking forward to stretching myself creatively to come up with stimulating assignments and exciting ways to learn. And that brings me to this blog; as a way to get my work “out there,” since there’ll be no other students or teachers to share my work with, I’ll be posting various projects and papers that I do in ALC onto here! So in a way this blog will temporarily become my virtual classroom! But don’t worry, it won’t be boring (I don’t think) and I’ll still make some regular posts on here as well. Here’s to an exciting new school year and limitless learning!


No comments:

Post a Comment