Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunday Stealing: Nerd Alert

1. Favorite childhood book? 

The Narnia series probably

2. What are you reading right now? 

Freddy Goes to Florida

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

None

4. Bad book habit?

Starting a book and not finishing it

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

A Calvin and Hobbes comic book, Every Day Deserves a Chance by Max Lucado, a Garfield comic book and the movie From Up on Poppy Hill.

6. Do you have an e-reader?

Yes

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

I prefer to read one fiction book at a time and one non-fiction book at a time, but I always end up starting some new non-fiction book and not finishing the last one.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

Not really

9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far)?

I started reading The Cat from Outer Space, the movie of which I loved when I was little, but since the book was written from the movie, I found it shallow and identical to the movie. So I knew exactly what was going to happen next, there was nothing new. I didn't see the point in wasting my time reading any more of it.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?

The Tale of Despereaux and Flora and Ulysses both by Kate DiCamillo

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?

I don't know if I have a reading comfort zone. I guess romance is out of my comfort zone because I know it's unhealthy for me and I think it's disgusting! I recently read some Louis L'amour stories which were the first real western stories I've read, and I thoroughly enjoyed them!

12. What is your reading comfort zone?

Probably clean. I don't stay only in the Christian genre because a lot of Christian novels are bland, but I never read books that I know will have bad language or anything else in them. I like classics and the books written for pre-teens. I find that those books have a lot more depth and beauty to them than adult books.

13. Can you read on the bus?

No, I get too distracted by other people and I'm too curious about my surroundings to be able to focus

14. Favorite place to read?

On my bed or walking in circles in the living room

15. What is your policy on book lending?

I only lend to Little Sister and my only rule is that she gets it back to my shelf after she's done with it. 

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?

Not fiction books, but some non-fiction books that I own

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?

Same as the last answer, I write my thoughts, questions and reactions to a couple non-fiction books that I own.

18. Not even with text books?

Yeah, with textbooks too. I'd draw little cartoon characters to keep me company and write humerus comments to what was being read.

19. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?

Well, the only thing I can think of is the Louis L'amour books. I didn't know what to expect with it being a western. But since they're my best friend's favorite books, I sorta figured I'd like them too, which I did!

20. What makes you love a book?

A good book is simple, from the eyes of a child but deep and meaningful, holding more insight into life than an adult's complicated view. This is why I love Kate DiCamillo's books, and prefer to read books for pre-teens. C.S. Lewis once said something about that,
 “No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond.”
 Basically, though, any book that helps me see the beauty in life and see how everything is working out for good. That good endings are possible in real life too.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on Romance. When I recently started an ebook listed as a Romance and had a pretty and well dressed 18th century woman on the cover, I soon saw that it was not what I expected. I was thinking of a book along the lines of the film, "Romancing the Stone", which I really did like. What an eye opening that was.

    Enjoy your Sunday..

    ReplyDelete