Monday, May 5, 2014

“If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.” - Abraham Lincoln



May 3: Three Gifts Found in Difficult People

1. The fact that Little Sister was too sick to go with me to Comic Con
2. Little Sister telling me I'm a good director
3. The way Little Sister wears bright colors all the time
 
One of the items on my unofficial bucket list is to go to a Comic Con convention. So you can imagine my extreme excitement when Mom came into the room that I share with Little Sister where we’re both hanging out (she was home from school sick) and she told us that there’s going to be a Comic Con in the Cities! And on top of that, Dad was going to the Cities the next day to do some yard work on our old house. So for the rest of the day we all excitedly planned and dreamed how Little Sister and I would be dropped off at the convention in the morning and then be picked up later in the afternoon. The only thing was the price; $90.00 for two tickets, and the fact that Little Sister was sick. Mom said that she’d be fine paying the price for us, since this was such a unique experience, and I was confident (in my usual optimistic way) that Little Sister would be fine the next day. Plus, Sean Austin was going to be there!! That’s a bit of context for this morning. I wake up, and she’s coughing. Then she takes forever to decide whether she’ll be able to go or not; this is because she really wants to go, but is scared that she’ll be too sick to. Dad leaves at 7 am, and we’re running out of time to decide. We haven’t even bought the tickets yet! So I decide for us. We’re not going, not this time. There always is, of course, the possibility of me going all on my own… but I didn’t sleep well the night before and am not feeling half as brave as I was yesterday. But it’s just as well, I tell myself. There are things that need to get done here at home. I’m actually even a little bit thankful.

Having watched some of FinalCutKing’s amazing films, as well as his behind the scenes and interviews; Little Sister and I have caught the filmmaking bug again. Because we stayed home from Comic Con, we now have the whole day to film! Or at the least… dream about filming. Little Sister get’s this idea for a short film where one of us touches the other, causing that person to vanish. It’s finally beautiful outside after a week of grey, cold, rainy weather, so we head outside to film. After taking several retakes, we get some good footage; but I feel as if I’ve been a bit too bossy and short-tempered directing Little Sister. I always feel like that after filming with her. I apologize to her if I was being too demanding but she responds with something a little surprising; “you’re a good director, Tina!” This encouragement makes me feel as if maybe I’ll actually be able to be a filmmaker someday. Or even, start being one now!

Okay, I admit it. All three of these things today are taken from Little Sister. She’s the only one I have the guts to call difficult and talk about it, because I know she doesn’t mind. Besides, there are very few difficult people in my life; I’m the kind of person who likes just about everyone. We’re eating supper, and I look over at her, trying to find the third thing for the day. She’s wearing her baggy, bright yellow shirt, with bright bracelets of several different colors. I like looking at the colors. That’s something I like about her fashion style. She’s bold. Her bright red pants, neon green stripped shirt, or orange baggy T-shirt. Almost everything in her wardrobe is colorful and it’s always fun to see what she’ll wear. I find that things that are bright, bold, or have pops of quirkiness or uniqueness always catch my attention in fashion. Things that make me smile, and Little Sister has plenty of that kind of clothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment