Monday, May 5, 2014

The Beauty in Flat



May 2: Three Gifts Flat

1. My green card that will allow me to get my moped permit
2. Footprint in the mud
3. The Netflix case that holds Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

I laugh as I tell Mom that it sounds like I’m an immigrant when I refer to the green piece of paper on the counter as my “green card.” That “green card” is my certificate of completion of the moped course. Without it, in the state of Minnesota, I can’t get my moped permit. So yeah, I’m thankful for that. I remember back to the night before when the instructor had passed out our test results. He had read my ‘a’ as an ‘e’ and called out “Justin.” There was silence, because, although I suspected that was me (my full name is often confused “Christine” or “Justin”, which is one reason why I like being called “Tina”), I waited in case there was a Justin in the class. Then I spoke up, said I was “Justina” emphasizing the ‘a.’ Then that moment as he put the paper down; said it right out loud and I could barely believe my ears, “she aced it!” I had to look at my paper to make sure I understood what he had said. 100%; not bad for a test taken at 9:30 at night.

With the week of grey and wet weather finally clearing up in the afternoon, I see my chance to try out my new mud boots. I had never needed mud boots in the cities, but now, with a front yard that’s practically wilderness it’s so large, Mom decided it was time to invest in some. At Wal-Mart I had fallen in love with a pair; grey with bright yellow soles. The perfect thing to cheer up a grey day! Outside, I go to the far end of our yard, to where the “Dead Marshes” are. A crystal clear pond had built up on the edge of all the reeds. A couple ducks first waddle, then fly away as I clomp towards it. As I squish and struggle in the mud, I finally feel like myself again. Tina, brimming little girl curiosity and innocent love of life with her feet in the mud. The wind gusts strong, making me struggle to stay upright as my feet are glued in the ground like tree roots. In my hand I hold my Bible, pages opened to the Psalms.

“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.” 
– Psalm 19:1

I gaze up at the sky; that blue that makes me fall in love every time I look up at it. The clouds rush rapidly by, being pushed by the strong winds. How true that verse is. I lean down and examine the flat boot prints in the mud. Now that I have rain boots, there is no where that’s off limits to me!


And the third flat thing; that red flat envelope which holds something that is much anticipated throughout the whole day. A Netflix envelop, with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 within. With Little Sister home sick for the day, this evening seems like the perfect time to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment