Tuesday, November 12, 2013

From My Sketchbook: The "Citure" Series

These artworks are all part of an artwork series that I've titled the Citure Series. It got started from an art lesson about a year or so ago that required me to make a small series of related artworks. What in the world does "Citure" mean? Citure is a word I made up combining city and nature together; it captures the essence of this series.

The one on above is the first artwork in this series that started it all. It's done on a Halloween sticky note with highlighters and pen. I just started doodling without any idea of what would come of it; and this series was born from the idea of the two opposite worlds.


 So what is the Citure artwork series all about? It's the combining of the two worlds; city, man-made, modernization with nature, the natural and fresh. These combinations can be either harmonious, or clashing. The artworks are done on normal everyday objects found around the home, adding to the man-made aspect of the series.

This artwork on the right is one of my favorites; done on an old shipping list. This one shows the two worlds as harmonious; the one complimenting the other.


This artwork is now the cover of my transaction register; it shows in the background the hecticness and stress of life, especially in a work office type environment. And over it all is the reminder to breathe, that everything's going to be alright. 




This is my most recent one, done on the back of a birthday card envelope I just got. The butterflies were already on there and I loved them so much that I decided I wanted to make an artwork out of it. The butterflies represent people's souls, soaring above the troubles and "smog" of this world. They're flying to The Sun, where they can find life and rest.


And finally one of my other favorite ones from this series. It's done on a material that's like the back of the cheap notebooks from Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment