Saturday, November 16, 2013

Life in Focus



It was the poster on the wall of the eye clinic; the one that was an advertisement for sunglasses; that was the very first thing I saw when I put my glasses on for the first time.

The one thing that stands out to me is that I discovered there were water droplets on the surface of the sunglasses. It rather startled me; the sudden flood of details that were always just shapes of color before. The woman’s hair, her smile; it was like I was seeing these things for the very first time in my life.

In the car, riding home, I sat in the back seat and looked at the fir trees whizzing by out the window. I could see the leaves and branches; not just a blur of green. Taking my glasses on and off, I was amazed all over again each time at the clarity of details. 

And I wondered; how had life ever seemed normal before these things? How did I live my life in such a blur?

I suppose this could be compared to the way life looks when someone learns about the good news of Jesus Christ for the first time. Since I’ve grown up in a Christian family, I’ve always seen life through the lens of the reality of God’s love, so I have to use my imagination and put myself in other’s shoes to get a view of what life looks like without that lens. 

Everything is blurred and hopeless; and the scariest thing is that the person who’s viewing life like this doesn’t realize that they’re not getting all the details. 

Not until someone else hands them a pair of glasses.

picsbox

No comments:

Post a Comment