Sunday, July 3, 2011

Camping in the Great Outback.... the Backyard that is!

My sister and I had been planning a camping trip in our backyard since the snow outside was three feet deep. But when the weather got warmer I started backing out... I just wasn't sure how I would like sleeping outside just with my little sister. But when my sister brought it up again, and I said I didn't think we would do it anymore, my mother said we should do it that weekend. Well, I woke up on Friday and found out that, at 8 o'clock in the morning, it was already 84 degrees. I was having second thoughts again. But my little sister insisted and my mother said we could spend all day in our little pool. So I agreed and my dad helped set up our tent. By the time I had finished helping put up the tent, I was already dripping with sweat. So I jumped in the pool. It turned out Emily and I stayed in the pool pretty much all day, trying to avoid the blistering 106 degrees. Not a nice day to camp! To add to all that, late in the evening a storm blew in so bad that Emily and I packed up and went inside.
This pool was a life saver in the 106 degree weather!
But the next day was perfect! The temp didn't go much over 84 and it was an enjoyable day. I spent most of it swinging on our porch swing in the shade, writing to my hearts content. I have, like, ten different notebooks, all for different kinds of writing. I have a notebook for poems, short stories, notes, and everything else you could possibly think to write!
My sis took this of me while I was writing
 The day was perfect, but that night wasn't so nice. I had gone inside to watch some episodes of Lost with my mother and brother, and it was 11 PM by the time I got back out to the tent. Of course it's 4th of July weekend and so all night people were setting off fire crackers. I couldn't get to sleep until they all stopped and by then I had no idea what time it was and I was too tired to look at my watch. I doubt I got more then three hours of sleep. Then of course, at 5 AM, some pesky crows decided it was their civic duty to fill in for my alarm clock! They wouldn't stop cawing loudly back and fourth to each other, so I grabbed my pillow and heading inside to get an hour more of sleep in my own soft bed. If ever there was a good excuse for falling asleep during a Sunday service, I had one! All in all, I had a fun time. And I think it was good for my sister and I to break away from the normal routine of life full of electronics, and spend more time in the great outdoors, even if it was only just out our backdoor!

No comments:

Post a Comment