Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas Eve Surprise

Day 17 - Surprise Me Challenge

Today's surprises
The sun breaking out of the grey sky
Collapsing onto the floor from full speed running without getting hurt
The small amount of people at the Christmas Eve service
How terrified I was of being burned by wax
How much I enjoyed watching Jingle All the Way

We probably made quite a sight. Me walking into the church with my white dress, bright blue leggings and bright orange over jacket and Little Sister in her baggy sweatpants and pink fuzzy pajama top that she claims is a shirt. The day and night styles of dressing probably reflect the different ways we view Christmas Eve service. To me, this time is the very essence of Christmas. It's one of the few days I deem special enough to dress up fancier, along with Easter, funerals, and weddings. Little Sister was only there because she had to be. She'd rather be home playing Minecraft. Whatever both our views were, there we stood. Instantly I felt awkward, very few people were there that I knew, and even fewer young people. Heading into the sanctuary to sit down with my family I'm surprised to find only one row of people sitting up front, and all of them over 50 at least. Little Sister and I were the only young people there. I felt as if I had stepped into a different church. It surprised me that not more people had come, as if a Christmas Eve service was a barely breathing memory kept alive only by the elders who still make the effort to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment