Saturday, December 26, 2015

Surprised by My Lack of Surprise

Day 19 - Surprise Me Challenge

Today's surprises have been very few and very small. I come to the end of this day and do not feel surprised at all. Sadly I am afraid this is because I have been forgetting about this challenge a bit. My biggest surprise today was that I realized I had forgotten to ask God to surprise me today. That's pretty sad.

To be honest, I had hoped that in doing this challenge I would be somehow inviting God to surprise me in supernatural, miraculous ways. So far He's only surprised me in small, daily life things. Don't get me wrong, I know He can still show up in big ways through this, it just seems to me that so far He works more in the daily little things. That really isn't such a bad thing. Think about your breath, each breath you take is surprising. Every time the sun rises it's a surprising miracle!



I think God does show up in both big and little ways... the problem is with my eyes. I forget to look. I get caught up in the predictability of routines and lose my wonder of life. The very fact that my biggest surprise today was that I had forgotten to ask God to surprise me is proof of this. The surprises are still there, I just don't notice them. I've forgotten to wait in expectant excitement for what new surprises God has in store for me each morning.

I'm about ten days away from being done with this challenge, so I think it's about time I wake up and stop missing the little but most important surprises each day. This morning I woke up with this verse running through my mind.


"This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."


I've been telling myself this verse the last couple days because frankly, I've been dreading each new day. All I want to do is stay in bed and let life pass me by. It's time that mindset stopped. Life is an adventure, full of surprises! That's really why I decided to do this challenge, to fully realize how surprising life can be. So tomorrow, even though it'll be day 20, I'll treat it like day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment