Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Getting Rid of Time

Today's prompt: "Go without something (e.g. phone, twitter) for a day and tell us what it feels like"


It was hard to choose something to get rid of for a day. Everything I thought of wouldn’t have made a difference to me, or was vital to get my school work done. But now that I think of it, my glasses would have been entertaining to go without, at least, for other people it would be. I’m not really extremely addicted or reliant on anything. But finally I found something; my watch.

My watch is a part of me. Once I get a new one, it stays on my wrist until it dies or breaks (except for showers and swimming; stuff like that.) I never care if it doesn’t match my outfit, it’s just always there. The idea of giving it up isn’t completely new, though. I’ve noticed in the past that I run my life on a strict schedule, although it’s mostly subconscious. If I pay attention, I realize that the way I feel about what kind of things I can do is influenced by what hour it is. Often I’ve wondered if I could break this pattern by not having a watch on; but it never lasts.

Not having a watch on today made me feel a little helpless, ignorant, and reliant on others. Every time I had to call out “what time is it?” I felt like saying instead, since it’s Wednesday, “what day is it?” That “hump day” thing is really annoying to me, but my little sister has got it ingrained in my brain by now, so each time I asked someone for the time, I’d have an annoying voice in my head say “hump day!”

Keeping a watch on me was a way for me to be in control; to know when I needed to do things, especially when to get ready to go somewhere. So not having a watch makes me a little anxious; but there are so many other clocks in almost every room that it hardly matters if I have my watch or not. Going without my watch was, I admit, not a very drastic change in my way of life. Instead it was something that caused small, trivial inconveniences through the course of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment