Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Smallville


Today's prompt: "Post a review about a book, lipstick or anything you like! Rate it in a scale of 1 to 5."

Now, I’m not much of a reviewer; I never like to point out the bad in things. But I do like to talk about stories… a lot. So for this blogging challenge, I will talk about Smallville, the most recent TV show that I’m watching marathons of. 


Overview of the story plot; the show is about the teenage to young adult years of Superman. How he became who he is. Each season is one year of his life, starting with his freshman year of high school. I’m on season seven right now, so all the characters are grown up and out of school (and collage as well.)


I would give this TV show a… 3.5 and here’s why.


I love this show, but five seems too perfect, that’s a number reserved only for stuff like Lost and The Lord of the Rings. 


Also, I would’ve given it a four; the characters are entertaining, there’s a good balance of light humor and dark conflict, and it’s got something about it that makes you want to watch just one more episode. But…


I’m getting sick of how they portray romantic relationships in the show. Personally, I feel as if a happy ending would be with no one getting the girl or guy. The writers of Smallville have a warped sense of relationships, and the objectionable content has gotten worse as the main characters have gotten older. The worst season was probably season four, it gets better after that.


Some things I really love about this show are the themes of how good conquers all, and that it’s never too late for anyone to turn to the good side. Another thing I enjoy in this TV series is the humor (when it’s clean!) Also, the girls are tough. Lana and Lois can take care of themselves and barely ever need Superman to come to their rescue, and Chloe is a genius. 


The only thing that’s missing is a purely terrifying bad guy that Superman can’t defeat in one episode. I keep on hoping for a bad guy that I can hate… but any truly evil ones are defeated quickly, and the others I’ve gotten to know too well and wouldn’t even call them bad guys anymore. Call me crazy, but Lex isn’t the bad guy in my mind, and his father has changed, so I can’t even hate him like I used to. I think Smallville, as well as Lost and Once Upon a Time, is teaching me that there’s good in just about everybody, and that even bad guys can change. But also, that there’s a darkness in everybody - even Superman - that can grow depending on the choices you make.

ComicBookMovie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment