Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Scents of Life

Today's prompt: "Name at least 3 scents that trigger a good or bad memory."


Artificial Looking Store Bought Brownies: The overly sweet smell that screams artificial everything; my stomach withdraws in protest and a hyper overdrive of sugariness knots in my chest. Childhood, a baseball game in the Metrodome; a stomach ache leads to sickness. I always blamed those brownies.

Wikipedia



The Air after a Rainstorm: The dampness fills my lungs; moist black earth and vivid greens. Watery freshness; a clean start. A peaceful breeze fills my soul and the problems of this world tumble off my back.



A Strawberry Shortcake Candle: A gentle sweetness, the freshness of strawberries, and the baked flavor of a crumble. The candle sits with its silver lid removed; the wicks stand three in a triangle, unburned. A smile emerges and a memory; visiting my older sister, helping paint her whole house and the strawberry shortcake dessert Mom made for us after a day of hard work. 

Becky Luigart-Stayner

No comments:

Post a Comment